Vegan Dessert Recipes – Comforting Creamy Caramel
Only a slice of this vegan caramel is bound to go a long way!
Here’s a light lip-smacking vegan version of the classic creme caramel. Easy to prepare and absolutely delicious , this vegan flan is going to start a new love affair!
Light, rich, warm, sweet are just a few words to describe this healthy vegan treat made with Tofu that gives this custard a smooth silky texture . This recipe is a departure from the classic caramel which is sugar heavy. This vegan take on the classic is a delight not only for vegans but for the calorie conscious, too.
Although this recipe uses soy milk, feel free to use almond milk instead with a drop or two of almond extract for that almond punch.
Substitute soy milk with coconut milk to make a vegan version of Flan de coco, a Puerto Rican classic. Whatever you do, just remember that you can’t go wrong coz you’ll always end up with a great healthy vegan dessert.
So here’s to a vegan caramel flan to indulge yourself this weekend.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
For the Caramel:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Place the sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir and melt until golden. Pour into the bottom of ramekins.
For the Custard:
- 2 cups plain soy milk
- 1 Tbsp. agar-agar flakes
- 1/2 cup extra-firm silken tofu
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place the soy milk in a medium saucepan and sprinkle with the agar flakes. Let sit for 10 minutes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the agar has dissolved.
- Put the tofu, sugar, vanilla, salt, and soy milk mixture in a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Pour into the ramekins over the syrup, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- To remove from the ramekins, dip the bottom in hot water for about 15 seconds, then turn over onto a plate.
Makes 3 large or 6 small flan
Read source post here.
Special Thanks to PETA for posting this. Pictures are from that post.
vegan dessert recipes easy