Comforting’n’Creamy Bowl Of Broccoli Goodness
Quick ‘n easy –a healthy raw, gluten free, vegan soup that doubles up as a meal!
A warm bowl of soup on a chilly Autumn evening is great comfort food. Throw in nutritional, vegan and gluten free and voila! You’ve got a winner in a bowl!
This simple recipe brings together antioxidant rich broccoli and sweet red peppers that form the base of this ultra-healthy soup. Almond milk, cashews and hemp seeds impart creaminess to this amazing soup.
- Try this recipe for delicious Mango Lassi
- In the mood for Lasagna? Look no further! Lip Smacking, Light, Raw Vegan, Lasagna – Check it out
Given the benefits of hemp seeds, almonds and the antioxidant fiber rich vegetables, this soup is so nutritional- it’s best described as a ‘wonder soup’- a complete meal in itself. It leaves you satiated yet craving for more!
The challenge is to try holding back after one bowl…….Will you prevail? Go try it & find out!
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 2 1/2 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp of red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Cut all the florets off of the broccoli stalks (save for your next salad or juice them). Place in a medium size bowl and cover with hot water to slightly blanch and soften. Allow the broccoli to sit while you make the sauce.
- Chop the red pepper into chunks then add to a blender with the almond milk and lemon juice. Blend until the pepper is broken down nicely. If you blend everything at once the red pepper won’t break down fully (based on author Amie Sue’s experience & Raw Vegan Zone’s testing confirms 😀)
- Add the cashews, hemp seeds, red chili pepper flakes and salt and again blend until smooth. Continue blending until all the grittiness is gone. Before adding in the remaining ingredients, test the soup for texture.
- Add the nutritional yeast and broccoli and blend again. You could hold back some of the florets and put them in at the end if you want a chunkier texture. Doing it in stages like this helps you to get the smooth consistency without over-heating it.
- Serve! This soup can be eaten chilled, at room temp, warmed in the dehydrator at 118 degrees for 1 hour or heated in a pan (if being raw isn’t a factor).
- Store in an airtight glass container in the fridge.
If You Are Looking to buy a Dehydrator, Check This One Out:
Excalibur 2400 4-Tray Economy Dehydrator, Black
or also a bigger (deluxe) version:
Excalibur 3900B 9 Tray Deluxe Dehydrator, Black
Available also in White
Special Thanks to Nouveau Raw and Amie Sue for posting this delightful recipe.
Featured Picture is from that post.